Read time: 2 Minutes
Everyone knows that having children impacts your sleep. In fact, it’s often one of the first comments that people will make when you announce your pregnancy: “Oh you better make the most of those lie ins while you can!”.
But then you actually have the baby and nothing, NOTHING, can prepare you for what the actual sleep deprivation feels like. You’ll feel rage at childless people who complain about feeling tired and in awe that parents don’t complain more.
As child induced sleep deprivation is something that every parent can identify with, we thought we’d put together a list of the most common struggles that tired mams and dads experience.
1. You consider sleeping in until 6.30am an absolute victory.
2. When you don’t have the kids, you still manage to wake up at the crack of dawn and then absolutely can’t get back to sleep.
3. You try to nap when your child naps, fail miserably and have an emotional breakdown because all you want to do is sleep.
4. You can’t remember what it feels like to wake up to an actual alarm clock.
5. You find yourself laughing hilariously at your own jokes, telling them to other people and then realising they’re not funny and you’re delirious.
6. Walking into rooms and having no idea why you did it or what you’re doing.
7. Driving your car, getting to your destination and realising you have no clue how you got there.
8. Putting breastmilk in your coffee, soap on your toothbrush, coffee in your cereal bowl and cereal in your cup of coffee.
9. Sitting on the toilet for longer than necessary just to close your eyes for a second.
10. Looking forward to the evening when the kids go to bed then falling asleep three minutes into the movie you wanted to watch.
11. Looking for the baby and realising you’re holding the baby.
12. Leaving the house with two odd shoes/pyjamas/dirty clothes on, realising when you get to where you’re going and not even caring.
13. Realising you can not remember the last time you fed the dog/cat.
What’s the strangest thing you’ve done as a sleep deprived parent? Let us know using the hashtag #MyIrishLife on social media. You can also leave a comment below.
Let us help you plan your future!
Build your free personal profile today and let us help you plan your financial future.
Irish Life is one of Ireland’s leading financial services companies with over 1 million customers. For over 75 years, we’ve been helping people in Ireland look after their life insurance, pension and investment needs.